- 1 package of Beef Stew Meat. I used 1# for 4 of us.
- 5 cloves of fresh Garlic-crushed
- 2" of fresh ginger peeled and cut into pieces
- 1-1/2" of green onion cut thinly on a bias (diagonally)
- 3" of cilantro stems, leaves roughly chopped
- 2 Star Anise
- 1 cup of beef stock
- 4 T honey
- 1/2 cup Soy Sauce (I used Tamari which is a gluten-free soy sauce. FYI-soy actually does NOT contain gluten but often gets contaminated during processing, so if you need gluten-free use Tamari soy sauce).
- 1/4 cup Rice Wine Vinegar
- 1 hot chili. Fresh or dried it doesn't matter, I used 1 Serrano Chili sliced in half. 1-2 Arbol Chilies are good or if you really want HEAT, use a Thai Chili(es). They are about 10x hotter than a jalapeno.
- 1 head of Butter or Boston or Bibb lettuce.
- Sesame Oil (to coat)
- fresh Limes wedged
- fresh radishes thinly sliced
- 1 fresh Red Pepper julienned
- Lemongrass cut in half and break spine with back of knife
- Sesame Seeds (toasted)
- Kosher Salt
- Black Pepper
- Cornstarch (for thickening)
What to do:
- Rinse stew meat under cold water and dry thoroughly with paper towel.
- Rinse all vegetables in cold water and cut as needed.
- Bring a saute pan to its smoke point.
- Toss stew meat in bowl with sesame oil, salt and pepper and place in saute to brown.
- Place browned meat in crock pot with garlic, ginger, cilantro stems, star anise, beef stock, chili(s), honey, soy sauce, vinegar and lemongrass.
- Cook on low or high until tender.
- Remove meat from pot and strain liquid.
- Pour liquid into sauce pot and bring to boil.
- In a separate bowl mix cornstarch with cold water in about a 2:1 ratio.
- Slowly add "slurry" to boiling jus while whisking until lightly thickened.
- Plate up lettuce leaves and top with meat, radishes, green onion slices, red peppers, sauce and toasted sesame seeds!
Enjoy! Happy Eating!