- Flank Steak
- fresh head of Garlic-minced
- 80/20 (blended) oil
- Chinese 5-Spice Powder
---HOT TIP--Chinese 5-Spice Powder is a blend of Cinnamon, Clove, Star Anise, Fennel and Szechuan Peppercorns.Now before you freak out about putting Cinnamon and Clove on something savory-just try this first.Also, I used Chef's Table Brand's "Chinese" blend which includes salt and pepper already in the blend. (Available through WandaFarm.net or ChefsTableBrand.com).If you choose another brand please make sure you purchase a blend with the above ingredients as there are other brands on the market which substitute anise seeds for the Szechuan Peppercorns. These peppercorns are what gives 5-Spice it's peppery, spicy kick!If you choose another brand, you will also need:
- Kosher Salt
- Black Pepper
What to do:
- Rinse flank under cold water and dry thoroughly with paper towel.
- Coat flank with a thin layer of oil and generously season with Chinese 5-Spice and fresh garlic.(If using another blend other than Chef's Table Brand, season with salt and pepper also).
- Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and store in frig, preferably overnight.
- Fire up your grill and cook your flank to medium-rare or medium AT MOST!HOT TIP-a Flank Steak can be a really tough piece meat so you need to either cook it to medium-rare or medium and slice it thinly across the grain OR braise it (low and slow in liquid) so it is not too tough.
- Cook to an internal temperature of 125 degrees Fahrenheit, take it off the grill and cover it with foil the "carry over cooking" brings it up to about 135 degrees.
- Slice across the grain and enjoy!
Serve with your favorite style of potato and veg!